Nestled in the captivating landscape of southeastern Ohio, Hocking Hills is a haven of natural beauty and endless fun. With its breathtaking vistas, enchanting forests, and mesmerizing waterfalls, this region attracts outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers from all corners of the world. While Hocking Hills is widely known for its stunning scenery and thrilling outdoor activities, it’s important to remember that the fun doesn’t stop when the rain clouds roll in. Even on a rainy day, there are still plenty of enjoyable activities to experience in Hocking Hills. So, don’t let a little rain dampen your spirits – grab your umbrella and discover the delightful array of options that will keep you entertained and make the most of your time in this picturesque destination, rain or shine.
Things to Do in Hocking Hills if it Rains
While Hocking Hills is known for its stunning outdoor beauty, don’t let a little rain dampen your spirits. There are still plenty of fun activities to experience in Hocking Hills, even when the weather doesn’t cooperate. Here are some things to do in Hocking Hills if it rains:
- Explore the Indoor Attractions: Hocking Hills is home to several fascinating indoor attractions that are perfect for rainy days. Visit the Paul A. Johnson Pencil Sharpener Museum in Logan, which houses an impressive collection of pencil sharpeners and offers a quirky and entertaining experience. You can also explore the Hocking Hills Regional Welcome Center, where you can learn about the area’s history, geology, and wildlife through exhibits and interactive displays.
- Discover Local Art: Take shelter from the rain by visiting the local art galleries and studios in Hocking Hills. The area is known for its vibrant art scene, and you’ll find a variety of galleries showcasing works by talented local artists. Browse through unique paintings, sculptures, ceramics, and other art forms, and perhaps even find a special piece to take home as a memento of your visit.
- Indulge in Culinary Delights: Hocking Hills is home to numerous restaurants, cafes, and bakeries that offer a variety of culinary delights. Use the rainy day as an opportunity to savor the local flavors and enjoy a leisurely meal. Whether you’re craving comfort food, international cuisine, or sweet treats, you’ll find plenty of options to satisfy your taste buds. Consider visiting a cozy cafe, where you can sip on a warm cup of coffee or indulge in a delicious pastry while watching the raindrops fall.
- Relax at a Spa or Wellness Retreat: Treat yourself to a day of pampering and relaxation at one of Hocking Hills’ luxurious spas or wellness retreats. Unwind with a rejuvenating massage, immerse yourself in a soothing sauna, or indulge in a facial or body treatment. The tranquil and serene atmosphere of these establishments will help you forget about the rain outside and focus on your well-being.
- Explore Indoor Recreation Centers: Hocking Hills is home to a few indoor recreation centers that offer activities for all ages. Visit a bowling alley for some friendly competition or head to an indoor rock climbing facility for a thrilling and challenging adventure. These indoor venues provide opportunities for fun and excitement, regardless of the weather conditions outside.
- Enjoy Local Breweries and Wineries: Rainy days can be the perfect excuse to visit the local breweries and wineries in Hocking Hills. Take a tour, sample a variety of craft beers or local wines, and learn about the brewing and winemaking processes. These establishments often offer cozy tasting rooms where you can relax and socialize, creating a memorable experience even when the weather isn’t ideal.
Remember, a little rain shouldn’t deter you from enjoying all that Hocking Hills has to offer. With these indoor activities, you can still have a memorable and enjoyable time exploring the region, no matter the weather. Embrace the opportunity to discover the unique indoor attractions, indulge in local cuisine, and relax in the welcoming establishments that Hocking Hills has to offer.
Hocking Hills is a beautiful place any season of the year. Travelers and visitors come to see the rolling hills, beautiful changing of the leaves in fall, cascading waterfalls all year round and beautiful landscape. When rain comes, it can feel like a wash on doing all the fun outdoor activities. Don’t let a bit of rain stop you from enjoying all that Hocking Hills has to offer.
Go Explore a Museum
One of the best ways to enjoy Hocking Hills when it rains is to take in some art and history. The Columbus Washboard Factory is the only one of its kind left in the United States. Learn the history of the washboard, why it is significant to Hocking Hills and see some historical artifacts. Not a fan of ancient history? Try something quirky by visiting a large collection of pencil sharpeners at the Pencil Sharpener Museum. This unique collection started more than 20 years ago and features over 3,400 pencil sharpeners.
Blown Glass Artwork
Jack Pine started his hand blown glass studio and gallery over 20 years ago in the heart of Hocking Hills. Nothing is better on a rainy day than seeing a true artist at work. During studio hours, check out live demos free and open to the public. Afterwards, there is a gallery featuring Jack’s handiwork. Not satisfied to while away the hours ‘pining’ over existing pieces? Create one of your own by booking time in the studio to blow your own glass ornament or piece to bring home as a memento of your time at this one-of-a-kind studio.
Wine and Dine
For those who love some fine wine, there are plenty of choices in the area. Stop by Rockside Winery in Lancaster. Sample wines from local grapes and stay in the tasting room awhile to chat or listen to live music on Saturdays. Hocking Hills Winery never disappoints in Logan. Family-oriented, this vineyard produces 12 tons of grapes each year. Attend various annual events or learn about the wine-making process at this beautiful winery in the heart of Hocking Hills.
Hocking Hills Candleworks lets guests mix and match fragrances to create a personalized candle. Book a stained glass workshop at the Art Glass Studio on weekends. Cooking classes are also available to learn new recipes or ways of cooking at the Inn and Spa at Cedar Falls. Check into their accommodation and stay for a while as you explore the area. .
For visitors who prefer a bit of shopping in hocking hills, check out a rainy day blues buster at Logan Antique Mall. Not only does downtown Logan offer some shops but this large mall has over 100 retailers selling jewelry, books, and more. Buy a souvenir to take home or try a few of the other malls in the area unique to Hocking Hills including Hocking Hills Craft Mall and Midwest Glass Outlet.
Hop N Indoor Fun
Hop N is a great place for fun and indoor entertainment in Hocking Hills. With over 2,500 square feet of space, the entire facility is kid (and adult) friendly. Check out the Video Game Lounge with TVs and projectors, games, and rigs for VR fun. Stop by for inflatable fun for kids of all ages, bounce houses, slides, toys, and more. Book ahead for a party or stop by to enjoy it at the last minute as plans change.
Don’t let a rainy day wash out your plans for fun in Hocking Hills. Try one of the many activities waiting for you in this beautiful location in the heart of Ohio. Even if you don’t want to head out, stay in one of the many beautiful accommodations by a fireplace, reading, playing games, going to the spa or taking a nap. All are great ways to spend time in the ‘great indoors’ of Hocking Hills.